How to organize a padel tournament
In this article we are going to address all the questions about how to organize a padel tournament and what you must consider for the competition carried out in the best possible way.
Padel tournaments are competition systems that face several couples, following a certain format, to obtain a classification of winners.
Let's see how to organize a padel tournament!
Introduction to padel
Padel is a racket sport that is mainly played by couples. Very similar to tennis, players must pass the ball over a net, making it hit the opponent's court.
It is a very recent sport (it was born in the 80s) but its popularity has been growing exponentially, mainly in South America and Europe.
For its practice, 3 fundamental elements are necessary: a track, a shovel, and a ball.
Steps to follow to organize a padel tournament
Every sporting event must start with a goal. Why are we going to organize a padel tournament?
We can differentiate two main types of objectives:
- Business: get an economic profit from the tournament.
- Marketing/strategic: achieve an impact and make our company known.
At this point, we must also define for whom we are going to organize the tournament, for amateur or professional padel players?
All these decisions will help us define the next steps.
2. DATE AND DURATION
Once we have defined the objectives of our padel tournament and we know the audience we are going to address, we must establish the date on which it is going to be held and its duration, it can be a one-day tournament, last a weekend, etc.
3. GAME FORMAT
Within competitive tournaments, we can find several types depending on their format. The choice of this format will depend mainly on the objective of the tournament, the number of pairs and the facilities and time available.
Types of padel tournaments that you can organize:
- Round Robin: Also known as an everyone against everyone league, it consists of an initial group stage and a subsequent direct knockout final stage. They are tournaments designed to play short matches, sometimes of a single set.
- Single Elimination Open Tournaments: This is the most common format, where pairs face each other in a draw (the result of a draw), advancing to the next round only if they win their matches.
- Padel Rankings: they aim to achieve couples of the same level. To do this, several categories or groups are created and accessed based on previous results. In these groups, all couples will face each other in a league format. The winners of one level go to the next and the last ones go to a lower level. Each group usually contains about 10 pairs.
- Padel marathon: matches are played uninterruptedly for 12 or 24 hours. Each match may end by result or by a limited game time. The maximum game time is usually 1 hour or 1 hour and a half.
- Well or multitrack: the objective is to fill all the available tracks and that no couple stops playing. Short matches are played (one set or 30 minutes) and couples are promoted based on the result with the aim of reaching court number one: if they win, they go up the court and if they lose, they go down the court.
On the other hand, we must also define the level categories: high level, medium level or low level. And the categories by sex: male, female or mixed.
The resources that we will need to organize our padel tournament refer to all the materials that we are going to have available for the preparation and execution of the tournament.
There are some essential resources and other optional ones that we include or not depending on our objective.
- Facilities where the tournament will be played.
- Balls: if we want to give an acceptable level of quality to the tournament, it is essential to have new balls.
- Prizes: this is what differentiates a competitive tournament from a recreational one.
- Welcome pack
- Human Resources
- Advertising Material
- Audiovisual material
- Cleaning and security service
The more resources we dedicate to our padel tournament, the higher level of quality and professionalism will be perceived by the participants.
5. ECONOMIC FORECAST
In this section we must consider the costs involved in organizing a paddle tournament and have them well defined.
The basic costs of a padel tournament are:
- Welcome Pack
Finally, we must consider our source of income:
- Registrations. Are the main source of income.
- Sponsors. Either as income if you get cash support, or as a cost reduction if it is in-kind sponsorship
Once we have all the variables just mentioned, we will be ready to organize a padel tournament.
Organize padel tournaments with Sportmadness
Sportmandess holds padel tournaments in Italy and Mexico, we have several success stories, and we are specialists in organizing express padel tournaments.
A tournament to highlight was the Hero Pádel Tournament. More than 70 players gathered to participate in this day in which they were able to learn first-hand about the Hero Padel product, while enjoying other experiences such as natural juices and smoothies made from freshly squeezed organic products, corners with top brand technical equipment or exclusive catering to regain strength.
During the tournament, several brand activations were also carried out, highlighting the award ceremony or product testing, which managed to generate direct business for Hero in the event itself.
Do you want us to help you organize a padel tennis tournament? Contact us!
Formulario Sportmadness contacto EN
Contacto formulario Sportmadness.es